yle High Rock Spring
The cliff bordering High Rock Park marks the western edge of the Saratoga Fault Line. High Rock Spring, at its base, is distinguished by a cone of hardened mineral deposits. Known to Native Americans for over 5,000 years, Mohawk Indians carried an ailing Sir William Johnson to the spring in 1771. The first non-Native American to visit the site, word soon caught on outside the Iroqouis Nation that the waters throughout this obscure region held extraordinary healing powers.
|TThe official seal adopted by the City of Saratoga Springs, depicts a Mohawk family at High Rock Spring, and is based on an illustration by John Ehninger (1827-1889). The image pays homage to High Rock, and the Native Americans who, in 1771, brought Sir William Johnson to the “great medicine spring.” In the 1770’s, several pioneers attempted settlement in the High Rock Area including Dirck Schouten, John Arnold, Samuel Norton, a son of Samuel Norton, and Gilbert Morgan. In 1783, General Philip Schuyler cut a path through the wilderness, from his home in Old Saratoga, by the Hudson River near Fish Creek, to the High Rock Spring, and built a cabin. While on a northern tour in 1783, General George Washington traveled to the High Rock Spring with his party, and drank the waters before continuing their journey southward. Alexander Bryan is considered the first permanent resident at the springs in 1787. Bryan built a blacksmith shop and an additional log building where he opened a tavern. The area around High Rock continued to develop as the Blakeslys, Risleys and Taylors settled and started businesses in what would become known as the “Upper Village.”|